Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking POP3 and IMAP

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:47:56 -0700

If you have anything on your network that sniffs in/outbound traffic,
you can show your POP3 and IMAP die-hards the plain text username and
password packets passed back and forth via these protocols (and, you
know how easy it is to sniff traffic). If they still gripe, show them
your institution's Acceptable Use Policy (you do have one, right?) that
addresses the consequences of exposing or sharing passwords (it does
include that, right?).

If the threat of termination for violation of institutional policy
doesn't convince them, and you can't get administrative support for
eliminating the protocols, then you may be forced to wait for one of
them to get their account hacked by an angry student who packs their
in-box with porn. Maybe an embarassing and messy end of a career
splashed across the front page of the local daily newspaper is the only
way to get the message across.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Center for Information Services (CIS)