Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passwords & Passphrases

From: "Sweeny, Jonny" <jsweeny () IU EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:40:29 -0500

Passphrases MUST contain at least:

    * 15 to 127 characters (at least 4 of which are unique)
    * 4 or more words (a "word" is defined as 2 or more distinct letters separated by 1 or more spaces or non-letters)

Passphrases MUST NOT:

    * contain the "at" sign (@)
    * contain the "number" sign (#)
    * be a common phrase (such as "to be or not to be" or "April showers bring may flowers")
    * be based on predictable patterns such as the alphabet or the layout of a standard keyboard
    * contain your name or username

No expiration presently.  We're working on that.

--
~Jonny Sweeny, GSEC, GCWN, GCIH, SSP-CNSA
Incident Response Manager, Lead Security Analyst