Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:55:43 -0400

I work for a decentralized academic unit but we've been looking at a
number of enryption utilities the past year.  Some we've been using
on a light scale - other's we're still evaluating.

I'd put them into two classes - full disk and file / folder.

I'd also categorize them in another way: free, inexpensive (under $60
/ license) or expensive (above $60 / license).  Of course, with
volume purchases there can be big discounts available.

One program that we liked a lot was a free program called
Truecrypt.  Besides being free, it is pretty easy to use and can be
used on different media (hard drives, CD's, etc.).  It's not full
disk, which can be a concern but, for a quick way of encrypting
something, it works.

We've looked at some higher end products - both file / folder and
full disk, and are leaning toward the full disk.  I'd be glad to give
you more details if you're interested because we've spent a lot of
time doing research on different products.

Harold