Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations on Email Filtering System

From: Christopher Webber <christopher.webber () UCR EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:54:43 -0800

It has been a while since I have administered the box... but at CSU
Fresno we went to Ironport boxes and loved it.

Christopher Webber, SCSA
Resnet Coordinator
Housing Services
University of California, Riverside

Office: 951.827.6595
Fax: 951.827.7099

Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google.
- Unknown

Anthony "Tony" Quigg wrote:

We are currently looking to replace our email spam/virus filter and
would like to hear what systems other people are using. After initial
investigation the price range for appliances and managed services
varies greatly so it is hard to determine what you are getting for
your money. We have around 500 desktops on campus.

One of the important factors (apart from stopping the spam and
viruses) is to be able to get decent reporting information such as the
number and name of quarantined viruses on a monthly basis. I have
found that most manufacturers do not have a lot of information about
what reports are available.

Feel free to email me directly if you don't want to inundate the list.

Any recommendations, good or bad experiences greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tony Quigg
Computer Systems Manager
Texas A&M University at Galveston