Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Managing passwords. Storing passwords.

From: Joseph Corey <jcorey () CMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:50:00 -0500

We very recently (like this week) rolled out a product called Roulette
by Lieberman Software (http://www.liebsoft.com) to manage our Windows
server passwords. The product does secure storage of passwords,
auto-randomization of passwords, and discovery to find out where
passwords are used (i.e. running services, COM objects, and scheduled
tasks).

It also does Unix/Linux root passwords via ssh, but I haven't explored
this option.  There is a password retrieval website and a pretty good
delegation model. Good luck finding much info about it on their site
though. It's a pretty new product and built from an existing product of
theirs, Random Password Manager. All of the functions of RPM are built
into Roulette so that's a good starting point.

Joseph T. Corey
Windows Systems Administrator
jcorey () cmu edu