Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Authentication of remote users

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:54:05 -0500

If I told you, they wouldn't be secrets anymore :-)

Yes, we are still using SSN parts, but will be changing to something we are calling a UPN - a unique 9 digit number that
looks just like a SSN but isn't.

I have no idea how we are going to get people to remember that number - but at least their identity will be safe :-)

If you have a place to get cheep DNA scanners, we might be interested.

Joking aside, this is a really hard problem to solve and I don't think that I've seen a really good answer for this yet.

Thanks,
Joel