Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do you send out Bounce Notifications?

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:39:35 -0400

I'm all for turning them off if the email received was categorized as spam - we get 2-3 million bounce messages a day
for an account the has never existed at
Columbia - they are all complaints about spam.  We have no way to stop them and have had to invest in extra servers
just to handle these bounces.

My 2 cents.

Joel Rosenblatt

Joel Rosenblatt, Manager Network & Computer Security
Columbia Information Security Office (CISO)
Columbia University, 612 W 115th Street, NY, NY 10025 / 212 854 3033
http://www.columbia.edu/~joel