Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Outsourced e-mail archiving

From: "Raw, Randy" <rawr () MORE NET>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:56:54 -0500

For those of you that have outsourced your e-mail to a 3rd party, how
are you handling litigation holds and e-discovery requests?

There are so many sub-questions related to this overall question that I
am not sure how to actually ask the detailed implementation questions
like:
Who can make the request of the service provider?
Do those requests require a subpoena?
Is this a self-service function of the service provider, or is it a
"behind the scenes" function that only the system admins can handle?
Is there a limit in scope of how much mail or how many accounts can have
mail retained?
And about 100 more of these types of questions.

I have looked around on the Google site but didn't find anything related
to this on their public site. I am not looking for a philosophical
discussion about outsourcing but more of a policy for those who have
already decided to outsource.

Thanks.

Randy Raw, CISSP
MOREnet Manager, Network Security