Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

consequences for student hacking

From: Tom Siu <thomas.siu () CASE EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:04:00 -0500

Bob,
First, since you have a policy prohibiting the activity, and
hopefully clearly delineated consequences, you should determine if
your institution has the will to enforce the policy.  In the case of
students, you need to have a good relationship with your student
affairs group, who usually has governance over the student
population.  The 'zero tolerance' approach works if you tell
everybody all the time ad nauseum before hand.  Be sure your
acceptable use policy prohibits illegal activity, and you can use
that as the fulcrum for all your other policy.

Typically any number of sensors will correlate a host scanning, so
you will have indirect evidence on hand.  Determining if you have a
person actually running nessus, nmap, hping, etc., is another topic
because you'll need to pretty much catch them in the act.

When somebody installs and runs a utility like CainAbel, which does
ARP spoofing, the network problems that arise help you find them.  If
this happens from a staff or faculty perspective, we investigate and
deliver a stern warning, first offense.  If it is a student, we can
seize the machine with the assistance of student affairs/housing (not
under direction of law enforcement) to determine what happened.  We
then engage the judicial process, unless it looks like criminal
activity was evident, then it might go that direction.

Check to see what student housing does with drug abuse/marijuana
cases, because there might a similar precedent for having them let
your staff into a student campus residence for 'probable cause.'  The
legality needs to be maintained as administrative action under your
housing rules.

Regards,
Tom