Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Campus Security Governance Structures?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 22:51:52 -0400

Martin Manjak wrote:
Looks like I have to answer my own query.

The lack of response to this question is intriguing. Does it mean that
most institutions don't have some form of governance when it comes to
information security?

If that's the case, how are decisions made that affect the institution's
security posture? How are assets ranked and vulnerabilities prioritized?
How is risk assessment performed? Who decides what investments are made
into what technologies and controls?

It seems to me that if you get governance right, many other things fall
into place because you get institutional recognition of risk and
endorsement of mitigation strategies.
M-

Perhaps for some of us the answer begins, "I call up Ross and we discuss
it..." Here information security isn't very differentiated from
Information Technology as a whole.

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"In our age, there is no such thing as "keeping out of politics." All
issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies,
evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia." -- George Orwell.