Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FERPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Addresses Changes in IT

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:30:15 -0500

I think secure grade distribution should be addressed by every school
as it chooses.  Schools are ultimately liable for the actions of
their employees, no?  The secure distribution of grades has been
handled by professors for centuries, in two general areas - grades
for individual assignments, and midterm and final grades.  The secure
distribution of midterm and final grades has already been addressed
by all modern student information systems - students log into the
system and view their grades.  The grades for individual assignments
and exams used to be all done with pen, and handed to the student at
the next class session.  Now there are course management
systems.  Let the schools decide how to solve the problem, don't let
Washington tell us that grades should be distributed by posting
grades next to student IDs.  Give us the real problem - privacy - and
let us solve it.