Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound SMTP

From: Don Nightingale <dnightin () WELLESLEY EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:50:54 -0400

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
Michael Van Norman wrote:
A researcher on your campus is developing an application that uses
e-mail and incorporates its own MTA.  A port 25 block breaks that.
That to me is a problem with network usability, not an extreme position.
Then you have a process where the researcher requests for that port to
be open for that service. Other researchers have to make requests for
chemicals, biological agents, requests for review, etc. This is just
an additional process.
If there's a valid reason to open a port, we'll most likely do it.  We
did have something similar happen actually.  A professor needed
"hands-off" full internet access for his students for the duration of
his course.  We set his lab up on a new vlan and gave him what he asked
for.  After the course was over we removed the vlan and re-imaged the
lab machines.
The number of researchers who are needing port openings are much less
than the number of student machines with spam-bots on them. And in
some states, locations, etc because they are personal property, the sta
Also, blocking unknown outbound SMTP traffic at the firewall  allows us
to syslog the ACL and immediately identify systems that have been
potentially compromised.

--

Don Nightingale
Systems and Networks Manager