Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound SMTP

From: John Kristoff <jtk () DEPAUL EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:39:15 -0500

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:14:56 -0700
Joe St Sauver <joe () OREGON UOREGON EDU> wrote:

At the risk of disrupting the chrous of support that's been expressed so
far when it comes to blocking outbound port 25 traffic, I feel compelled
to wave my hand from the back of the room and express disagreement.

Since I know there are lots of people and institutions that feel as Joe,
myself and some institutions I know well included, I will simply point
out that Joe is far from alone.  Though I'll avoid any argument for or
against that's been made a bazillion times.  Pretty pointless to have to
go over this yet again in my opinion.  Transparency is forever lost and
its continuing to erode for most people.  Its somewhat less noticeable
for some people not stuck with certain nets, ops and hammers posing as
helpers, but its increasingly noticeable for everyone.

John