Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Differentiating Between Real and Phishing Emails to Staff and Students

From: Sarah Stevens <sarah () STEVENS-TECHNOLOGIES COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:52:10 -0700

Tim,

I hope you are doing well.  The last time that I heard from you, I believe that you were developing some policies and
procedures for IT Security.  :-)

I find the following statement interesting:

As the frequency of targeted phishing scams increase, I continue to get more queries by staff and students questioning
if the very emails I send to staff and students are valid or a scam.

What types of email are you sending out?  Are you actually requesting something of the student?  A true phishing attack
would include a link in the email such as "Click here to change your password", or "Respond to this email with your
password."

An email from IT Security might say "If you feel that the integrity of your password could have been jeopardized,
please contact IT Security immediately.  Remember that the IT Security department will never make a direct request for
your password."

Most password reset systems send the new password to the user via email, and then demand an immediate password change
upon initial login to the system.  However, some password reset systems send the user to a link and the user must login
via the link to access the system.  I would say that the former is a better system, but if you have the type of system
that uses a link, a compensating control would be the training that you provide to the user indicating that they should
always call IT Security immediately if they receive an unsolicited password reset email link.

Digital signatures are not usually helpful in the University users' environment, as they are not commonly validated by
students and staff.

With that being said, I agree with Mike.  Your best defense is a good offense, and training your users on possible
phishing schemes is paramount to any successful information security awareness program.  I also agree that the training
methods used to train users must vary in order to continue to capture your user community's attention.  Your IT
Security Department should also be accessible to your user community.  Encourage open communication between IT Security
and your users by setting up lunch and learns, contests, etc. to build the enthusiasm of the IT Security Department.
(Building off of one of Mike's suggestions below, IT Security could hold a contest and award a prize for finding the
latest informational notice released by IT Security on campus.)

Hope this helps!

Sarah E Stevens, CISSP
President
Stevens Technologies, Inc.
(704) 625-8842 x500

"Security solutions for your organization."