Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Securing VM servers

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:34:47 -0400

Michael, we have two separate clusters here for a private DMZ (we don't
have a true DMZ with real IPs, everything is natted here) and our
'production' servers (i.e. database servers, ad, internal applications,
file servers, etc.).  If a physical box interconnects two networks there
is always a risk.  Hence, if a vulnerability in VMWare were to allow
someone to administratively add a second NIC to a VM host in a network
that it should not have access to, the result could be that VM host
becomes a launch pad for an attack into the other network.  For that
reason we decided to separate our clusters.  They do not share network
resources or SAN space.  Perhaps we are over paranoid?

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University