Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: using live Production as sandbox for training

From: Theresa Semmens <theresa.semmens () NDSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:59:42 -0500

Using a live production environment for a training area (aka sandbox) is not
sound business practice. The software development life cycle process is
clear in stating that there needs to be distinct separation of live
production and sandbox training. I would be very concerned about using live
production data for training/testing purposes - how will you know that data
has maintained the integrity, confidentiality, and availability required in
a trustworthy environment. It's just my two cents worth. :-)

Theresa Semmens, CISA
NDSU IT Security Officer
PO Box 5164
North Dakota State University