Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FYI: Another round of spear Phishing

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:02:26 -0400

I would not call using deception to educate an unethical activity.  I often
use deception when teaching my Information Security course and when running
our day long cyber warfare event.  I agree that asking for real data in the
scenario being outlined below, or causing public embarrassment is a bad idea
and could have some legal (security breach) ramifications but designing a
more passive gotcha scenario that doesn't embarrass or use any form of
sensitive data could be beneficial.  Example:  (IMO) sending an email which
has them click on a link to go to a website and have a banner on the website
that educates them about the dangers of phishing seems to be a perfectly
acceptable Information Security measure.

 -Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin
CISM, CISSP, GIAC-GSLC,PMP, ITIL Master Certified
Director, Information Security
University of Cincinnati
513-556-9177 (w)
513-703-3211 (m)
513-558-ISEC (department)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and its content is confidential,
intended solely for the addressee, and may be legally privileged. Access to
this message and its content by any individual or entity other than those
identified in this message is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying or distribution of this e-mail may be
unlawful. Any action taken or omitted due to the content of this message is
prohibited and may be unlawful.