Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New student username/password

From: Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:57:31 -0500

Last summer we scheduled new students to come in on certain days to see
their advisor for scheduling for the fall term.  We generated email
accounts for the students expected to come and they were given that
information when they arrived.  If they didn't come, the email
information was returned to us. We have a WebCT course which new
students are supposed register for and complete to acquaint themselves
with our technology.

Aaron Cayard-Roberts wrote:
Hello,

For years we've had students wait until they are on campus and have
attended a tech session before we give them their username and
password.  We've been under a lot of pressure to change this so that
the students will be able to access campus services over the summer
which require a username and password.

I'm wondering how other institutions are handling this situation in a
secure way.

Thanks,
Aaron

--