Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blacklisting and Tar-pitting

From: Michael Young <Michael.Young () RIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:09:04 -0400

Jay-

We see this on and off here at RIT.

Not only do we seeing forwarded e-mail being tar-pitted, but we've also
seen an increase in quarantined false positives on our inbound side.
When I investigated those further, I found that those lists are
marketing sites that were getting quarantined were also not managing
their list base.  There was a higher percentage of addresses that were
no longer valid.

It wasn't the spam that was being forwarded that was the problem, it was
the number of messages being forwarded to non-existant addresses.
Directory harvest attack protection has a high return as a spam
protection measure, but it can stop mail from flowing as users abandon
their accounts.  Students abandon e-mail accounts constantly,
particularly after they leave.

Once I started aggressively getting those people off the lists and/or
marking the forwarding as invalid, mail started flowing again.  For some
of the lists, I had to unsubscribe 40+ individuals that left our
institution sometime in the past.

Michael Young
RIT