Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Sensitive Data on Sharepoint

From: Alex <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:07:47 -0400

I wanted to find out if anyone is using Microsoft SharePoint to house
confidential or sensitive information.
I have some concerns, mainly at a fundamental level since I am not a
SharePoint expert.
It seems that SharePoint is really more about collaboration than security
and I have concerns about misconfigurations.
If anyone is doing this, do they have two seperate instances (secure and
insecure) or do they share an instance?
For storing sensitive data, we have pretty rigorous requirements.
I guess its a question about what is the risk of using SharePoint versus
some other method (secure file server).

Sincerely,

Alex Everett, CISSP
ITS Security Engineer