Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: anti-spam software

From: "Jason C. Belford" <jason.belford () OIT GATECH EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:17:50 -0400

Maria,

We have previously used Secure Mail (formerly Ciphertrust) Ironmail.
However, based on our needs, we purchased Sophos PureMessage and have
been using it for over two years.  Below I have listed some of the
pros and cons of each - based on our experiences. (Note: I am sure
many changes may have been made to Ironmail in the last 2 years.  The
limitations listed below are based on our experiences when we ran
these boxes in our production environment.)

Our setup / requirements:
        Centrally, we maintain 170+ domains
        we receive 1 million + messages per day
        our rule sets based on domain
        we only proactively drop only the worst of the worst
        we tag everything (spam and not spam based on a scale)
        we have global rules set up in the central mail system to filter mail
to a Junk folder
        we expire mail in the Junk folder after some period of time

Ironmail (appliances):
Pro:
        Easy Interface
        Great reporting mechanisms
        Allowed different rules for users and domains
        Attentive / quick technical support
Con:
        Deferred retry schedule limited to 4 (total) retries (unlike Postfix,
Sendmail, etc which allow retrying every X hours for Y days)
        Applied first rule to message (i.e. if one domain said drop and other
just change subject and a message was addresses to both, it would only
do one.)
        No regex available
        High false positive / false negative rate
        Quarantine database has a limit of the number of messages it could
keep (way too small)
        not all commands were available via command-line (GUI was required)
        used McAfee A/V (con for us since we already use it on the Desktop,
it was not providing much addition protection)

Sophos PureMessage (software,not appliance):
Pro:
        Easy Interface
        Everything can be accomplished via command line
        Very customizable (note: we have some rule sets that are quite
complicated)
        Message Splitting (handles different rule sets for each message)
        Uses Sophos A/V (typically finding viruses first according to Secunia)
        Allowed different rules for users and domains (or custom dictionaries
- subjects, words, globs, regex, etc)
        Very accurate (low false positive and false negative rate)
        Attentive / quick technical support
        Uses postfix or sendmail (your choice) as MTA
Con:
        Slow interface on most hardware
        Reporting mechanisms not great
        Tech support is lacking in some cases
        Pricey (Education discounts available)

Other products we tested and/or evaluated that did not meet our needs:
        Proofpoint
        Barracuda

Please let me know if you would like additional information:
Thank you,
Jason