Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Centralized vs. Decentralized IT

From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge () GMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:31:19 -0600

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Adam Stone <adstone () lbl gov> wrote:

That said, it seems to me that a common failing of our community is to
fail to distinguish between predictable administrative work which
*may* be appropriately centralized, and the work where centralization
gets in the way and harms the missions of the organization.

In some cases the predictable administrative areas see the lack of
'controls' on the research parts and won't play along because why
should they? Its money out of their budgets and more work for them
when 'everyone' else can do what they please.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux