Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please help with study on threat analysis

From: Marty Manjak <mm376 () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:23:54 -0400

Steve,

This looks like an interesting project and it's helpful to visually
represent the elements and their relationships in understanding risk
analysis.

In reviewing your diagram, I have a couple of comments.

I'm not sure that the concept of "frequency" adequately accounts for the
"likelihood" of an event occurring. Hurricanes might be a good example of
this. The likelihood of a hurricane striking is one set of probabilities.
The chance that more than one hurricane will strike the same location is a
different set of probabilities. There are some threats where a single
occurrence increases the chances that there will be multiple events.

The diagram also does not visually express how threats depend on
vulnerabilities to create risk. This may be a difficult concept to
represent in a 2-d drawing.

Finally, there is a typo (deturmine).

I hope this is of some value to your work.

Marty Manjak, CISSP
Information Security Officer
University at Albany

Hi Everyone!!

I am conducting a study examining how different instructional strategies
help students learn threat analysis concepts.  More specifically, I am
investigating the extent and nature of the influence of examples from
multiple domains on increasing learners' conceptual understanding (as
compared to using examples from just one domain or field).  Similar
research has been done in the past, but it focuses on well-defined
concepts and problems; my work is novel in that it focuses on
ill-defined concepts and problems.  And as you know, many concepts and
problems in the real world are ill-defined!

<snip>

Steve Rigby

Faculty

Computer and Information Technology Department

BYU-Idaho