Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Emerging Threat compromised rules

From: Peter Charbonneau <Peter.Charbonneau () WILLIAMS EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:25:37 -0500

Good morning,

  I was looking thru the SNORT ET rules (emerging-compromised.rules)
and saw that they were written in the form of:

        alert ip [ LIST OF BOGUS IPs HERE ] any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ET
COMPROMISED Known Compromised or Hostile Host Traffic (5)";
reference:url,doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/CompromisedHosts;
threshold: type limit, track by_src, seconds 60, count 1;
classtype:misc-attack; sid:2500004; rev:1397;)

My question is, why [ IPs ] any -> $HOME_NET any ... why not $HOME_NET
any -> [ IPs ] any ?

Does the order "into my network" versus "out of my network" buy me
anything other than the obvious -- forewarned is forearmed?

I do get alot of false positives from these sigs because inbound mail,
mostly.

PeteC

Peter Charbonneau
Sr. Network and Systems Administrator