Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Faculty & Staff E-mail Forwarding to Outside Providers

From: "Miller, Don C." <donm () UIDAHO EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:01:27 -0800

Michael, we do allow employees to forward e-mail without assistance from
IT (we are using exchange 2003).  There have been forwarding loop issues
in the past but as you mention the biggest concern we have, which has
not been brought to our counsel, is not only FERPA guidelines but public
records requests; record retention/archiving; personnel action,
investigation and review; intellectual property rights and control, etc.
We have around 2500 employees and we have to "freeze" accounts for
review about 20 times a year and we usually have at least 1 major
request to archive records for multiple users.  Our administrative
procedures manual is vague on the topic other than the ownership of all
data (including e-mail) is retained by the institution regardless of
where it is stored.

Don Miller

University of Idaho