Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Laptop Encryption

From: Timothy Payne <tpayne1 () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:06:05 -0600

Good Evening...

We are starting to investigate enterprise encryption on College
laptops, and eventually removeable drives.

Can anyone share with the list their experiences with enterprise level
encryption products?  I'm most interested in products that use some
sort of 2-factor authentication...ie, a USB key required to boot and a
password, or password/checksum combo.

How do you deal with the inevitable user who loses their token or
forgets their password?

I've looked at Tru-Crypt and it does a really good job for me, but I
don't think it will scale well to more than a handful of users.

Thanks!

Tim Payne, CISSP, CCNA
Network Administrator
Macalester College