Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ISP for Residence Halls

From: John Kaftan <jkaftan () UTICA EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:28:13 -0400

We looked into this but decided against it.  We were concerned about the
requirements of the HEA and thought it might be a good move.  We looked
into having a local ISP take over our Resnet and internet connectivity.
They were going to charge us about $10\Student\month.  We have about
1100 students on campus.

We also looked at having the cable provider put modems in each room like
residential service and that ended up costing something like $20-25 per
month per drop.  Since there are 2 students per room that would be about
the same but without Resnet services.

Currently we have an ISP for the Residence Halls and another for on
campus.  We have BGP configured for fail over.  So if our ISP goes down
we will maintain an internet presence.  In addition, we have recently
configured NAC in the Residence Halls at a fair expense.  It would be
hard to justify outsourcing after those expenses.

Ultimately, after looking at the HEA requirements closer, and asking our
ISP for 1200 routable IP addresses so we can easily identify offenders,
(we have been NATting up until now) we are going to stick with what we
have.

Pete Hickey wrote:
We did that a number of years ago.  The residence management like outsourcing
everything.  They were looking for cable TV for each room.  The company
added on Internet access as an option, and they took it.  Any problems
are not 'ours'.

I should note that the vast majority of our campus is NOT in the
residences.  The residences are favored for first year students,
so there are very few 'repeats'.  The year of the switch, they
didn't realize the things they were missing.

They have plain normal residential internet access.  They have
no local community.  They used to have game-fests which went
great on a fast local network.  They used to do disk sharing
offering various things locally.  They also used to have direct
access to the library resources.  There were also a department
here and there (generally science and eng) with their own internally
accessible servers.