Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL Certificates

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:23:29 -0500

Not to nitpick, but what qualifies as an "official" certifcate for such
purposes?

One from any CA distributed in commonly available browsers?  (pretty
much goes to user experience only, and keeps the "Türktrust Elektronic
Sertifika Hizmet Saglyicisi" in the game)

Any minimum service level for any such CA? (Uncommon, but possibly
helpful, if you actually follow the trail and actually *read* the CA's
CPS for that certificate level, and ctually read, understand, and agree
to it - like *that* ever happens)

EV-SSL, or no?

   -jml

"Rowe, Ken" <kenrowe () UILLINOIS EDU> 03/17/09 6:12 PM >>>
Web servers running in operational (not development) environment must
have an official certificate.
We would not allow a trial certificate, especially when dealing with
(HIPAA-restricted?) sensitive data.

Ken.
==
Ken Rowe
Director of Enterprise Systems Assurance and Information Security
University Office of Administrative Information Technology Services
University of Illinois
50 Gerty Drive, MC-673
Champaign, IL 61820
E kenrowe () uillinois edu