Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Websense alternatives?

From: Ken De Cruyenaere <kdc () CC UMANITOBA CA>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:27:15 -0500

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 03:03:58PM -0400, Ben Williams wrote:
   We utilize Websense web security for URL filtering. For the categories
   we filter we display a warning about the content and allow the user to
   continue, the only exception being dangerous malware which is simply
   blocked.

   What alternatives to Websense are you using?

   Thank you!

   Ben Williams

I guess its not exactly an alternative, but we recently
enabled the Web Reputation feature on Trendmicro's Officescan.
(When it came out a few years ago we tried it but left it off after too
 many false positives. Recently assured that it was improved we tried it again.)

I'm quite happy with it, no false positives and it helped identify a number of
machines that had malware on board, when the logs showe regular attempts
to connect to malicious web site(s).

 Ken
---
 Ken  De Cruyenaere    Computer Security Coordinator
 kdc () cc umanitoba ca   Information Services & Technology
 (204) 474-8340        University of Manitoba