Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: firewall holes for particular machines

From: leo song <song () UOGUELPH CA>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 08:27:25 -0400

What apps requite to change IP addresses frequently?

-
Leo Song, Cluster Lead - Networking and Security
(519) 824-4120 x 53181 CCS, University of Guelph

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 09:27 -0500, Kevin Shalla wrote:

I've been working with some people to set up firewall rules to allow
particular IP addresses.  We're going to be changing many IP
addresses soon, but keeping the same hostnames for them, so I
suggested setting the firewall rules to use hostnames instead, so
that there would be no downtime, and less maintenance the next time
IP addresses change.  My thinking is that there isn't much security
that's added by using IPs instead of hostnames, and using hostnames
would slightly increase the processing needed, but hostnames are more
convenient.  Am I missing something?