Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Dameware mini remote control

From: "Wayne J. Hauber" <wjhauber () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 10:00:55 -0500

At 05:04 PM 5/18/2009, Mayne, Jim wrote:

We have a vendor that supports our conference room display units
wanting to replace RealVNC and RDP to those displays with the
Dameware mini remote control application. Does anyone have any
experience with this product and its security and encryption?

You are asking the wrong group. This product has been popular with
hackers who need to remotely administer compromised systems. It seems
to suit their needs very well.

Because of this, AV vendors may take a dim view of the product. Will
your local AV products tolerate the presence of this product?

The Dameware folks will let you download an evaluation copy for testing.

Jim

Wayne Hauber (515) 294-9890
GCWN GCFA
Information Technology Services
IT Security and Policies
297 Durham Center, ISU, Ames, Iowa 50011
wjhauber () iastate edu