Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Complexity and Aging

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:54:29 -0400

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:51:17 CDT, Roger Safian said:

This is basically, IMHO, a religious debate.  There's no right or wrong answer.
Password aging has its uses.  Password length and complexity have their uses
as well.  The problem becomes balancing the security needs of your organization
against the threats you face.

I have *no* problems with an organization saying "We've thought about it, and
password aging solves real and actual *current* problem XYZ for us" (for
example, if you're using that as a proxy for disabling unused accounts - which
*is* a good thing).  It's all the sites that are implementing password aging to
solve last century's issues without thinking about the *current* issues.

And yes, for many sites, "We'll never be able to sell it to the auditors" is
probably reason enough - if so, at least *try* to educate said auditors.

Far too much security these days is totally cargo-cult.