Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student workers & shared drive restrictions

From: "Bazeley, Joseph E." <bazeleje () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:01:54 -0400

I'm the original poster, and I'm trying to replace trade one problem for another one.  Currently I have areas where 20
student workers all share a set of credentials which they use when working.  The main difference between their regular
ID and this one is that this one maps a department share instead of their regular drive mappings.

I want to move away them away from using these shared accounts, with my end goal being accountability.  I want to be
able to tie an action performed by a given account to a specific person, instead of a group of people.  The pushback
that I'm getting is that student workers will have access to the departmental shared drives outside of work, and will
copy files that they should not have.  This is not a very good argument, as the students could copy the files while at
work through multiple different methods (USB, our WebDAV shares, email, etc).

In order to gain the accountability that I'm looking for, I need to provide a method that will be computer-aware in
determining which drives to map.  So when a student worker logs in to one of the machines in the department offices
they work in, only the department share is mapped.  And when they log in anywhere else on campus, only their personal
share is mapped.

I think that either of the two solutions I've seen before might work in our environment, but if there are other
solutions being used at other schools I'd like to hear about them.

Joe