Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Astaro Security Gateway Appliance

From: Will Froning <will.froning () GMAIL COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:15:25 +0400

Hello Edward,

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Edward Tracy<tracyeg () yahoo com> wrote:
We’re evaluating security appliances and had a very
impressive demo of the Astaro Security Gateway appliance (Gartner-Visionary Quadrant).  A lot is packaged into their
solution (mail security, firewall, vpn, antivirus checking, IM control, etc.).  I quickly received a list of higher
ed’s running the product
that wasn’t all that useful.  References were small scale to our proposed use.  While I await a better list, anyone
running Astaro’s solution?  How large ofa user base are you working with?  Any reviews (positive or
negative) you can share would be appreciated.

We looked at it, but it wouldn't scale to our environment of 155mbps
with 5500 students (10000+ end points).  We ended up going with Palo
Alto Networks (PA-4050 cluster) after looking at all the different
UTMs available in this region.  We did a couple of POCs and everything
else puked once we enabled the full UTM options.  It's been online for
all of 3 days. ;)

Thanks,
Will, American University of Sharjah

--