Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: The role of Information Security in BC

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:50:27 -0400

Stephen C. Gay wrote:
I would like to solicit the group's opinion on the following
question:

What is the role of Information Security in Business Continuity
implementation?

An important point: - There is no question that InfoSec is a critical
player in Incident Response, Disaster Recovery, and Business
Continuity Planning (key word "planning"). The question isn't about
any of those scenarios, but rather when availability is non-existant,
critical infrastructures have been disabled, and life safety is at
the forefront...what is the role of Information Security?

While I think the answer will vary from institution to institution, I
am very interested in your individual thoughts and plans.

My biggest contribution to our DR/BC plans involved evaluation of the
data flow to our "hot site" to make sure the everything is protected,
checking out how the data is being stored there, and so on. Making sure
that the data is protected _before_ a disaster hits.

Also, if part of your BC plans involved staff and faculty working from
off-site, the proper design and implementation of a VPN network could
come into play.

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu