Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Cisco Software Download implementation this weekend

From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias () UCI EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:11:39 -0700

Peter Charbonneau wrote:
Good Morning,

    Over the weekend, Cisco implemented a new TAC software download
feature -- adding multiple things to a cart/basket so that they can all
be downloaded at once.  This is an excellent idea.  It's been needed for
a long time.

  However, the additional piece that was implemented was Cisco's
Download Manager.  One of the first things it has you do, is select a
location to place the downloaded software.  I use a UNIX file system.  I
told it to put the file IPS-sig-S433-req-E3.pkg in my Downloads
directory.  When I went to upload it to the IPS, the file wasn't there.
The Download Manager had created a file called
"Downloads\IPS-sig-S433-req-E3.pkg" in my Home directory.  Please note
the "\" slash character in the filename; this is a windows slash and is
"just another character" to UNIX.

They have the same kind of problem when you use ASDM's "Backup configurations"
tool with an ASA firewall.  I filed a TAC case about it, and there was already
a bug filed against it (CSCsy52784).  It's supposedly fixed in ASDM 6.2, but I
haven't tried it yet.

--
Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias () uci edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926