Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Settlement letter from Video Protection Alliance Services, LLC

From: Kevin Garrett <kgarrett () R3SI COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:07:02 -0400

Here is link
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/video-protection-alliance-services-llc-c229646.html
Ignore...is what they recommend.

All the best,

--
Kevin C Garrett
VP Sales
R3 Systems Inc
H. 847.603.7950 x802
O. 910.338.0373
M. 910.297.1058
kgarrett () r3si com
http://www.r3si.com
http://www.infosecuritystore.com

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Guy Pace <gpace () sbctc edu> wrote:

We got a couple settlement letters earlier this year from this outfit. It
was odd that we never got a "DMCA take down"  notice prior to the settlement
letters. I passed the information on to our local campus and got back that
the IP was a public access wireless network (log long ago rotated and user
no longer identifiable). So, I responded appropriately and didn't hear back.
Got a "second notice" from them. I spent a little more time checking things
out. Turns out the material they are alleging was illegally shared is being
hosted on a Spanish language Torrents site outside the US. Someone evidently
linked to that site while connected to our public access network.

The letter has a link that goes straight to a payment site that wants $40
per item, and offers to take payment via credit card. There is no other
option on the site but to pay the settlement. The alleged infringement is
for a porn movie. The address at the bottom (Cream Ridge, NJ, and ZIP,
actually resolves to the Cream Ridge Golf Club). I did call the phone number
and it does ring into New Jersey. But all I get is a voice message. I
suspect that this is just some porn producer scam to get money for his junk.
It looks too much like a front for identity fraud, and I just wouldn't feel
right telling a student to respond to this.

A few more minutes on the web and I found a couple references to legal
filings against RLD DISTRIBUTION, LLC. There is more if you have the time
and inclination.

I pulled together all the legal references I could get on state and federal
laws regarding this and our status as an educational institution and sent a
note back to them. I also copied our people at the state capitol and am
prepared to forward all of this to the state attorney general if these guys
don't cease and desist.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Information Technology Division
WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98004
425-803-9724
gpace () sbctc edu