Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Does anyone know how Verizon's outbound, external mail (port 587) is going to work?

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:37:23 -0500

Derek Diget wrote:
On Sep 24, 2009 at 11:52 -0400, Dennis Meharchand wrote:
=>Because we implemented SPF (Sender Policy Framework) - to mitigate our email
=>addresses from being spoofed with SPAM and Malware (we are a security
=>company) - our emails get rejected when sent to email servers looking for
=>SPF implementation.
=>
=>If you have implemented SPF records you may run into problems using 587 for
=>sends.

I am no SPF expert.....but if your e-mail submission is done correctly
you shouldn't have any problems with a SPF record ending in -all.

Right.  You shouldn't be using SPF to prevent your own authenticated
users from submitting messages to your server.

To answer the original question.  We support all of 25/TLS, 465/SSL and
587/TLS for authenticated outbound email submissions.  The vast majority
of our client documentation instructs users to configure port 587 unless
the client or ISP doesn't support it.

Jesse

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison