Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Issues with Symantec Version 11

From: Brenda B Gombosky <brenda.gombosky () LOUISVILLE EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:35:09 -0400

Over the past 4-6 month's we have experienced issues campus wide with new models of both Dell and HP's that cause the
following issue when installing, thus putting the machine into a perpetual loop of re-boots. So far our efforts to get
a resolution to this issue have not produced any successful response/work around from Symantec.

When trying to install a Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 client, the installation fails with the message "Pending
system changes that require a reboot have been detected"

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007121609023348

In our opinion asking the customers to make changes to their registry is not a fair expectation. Therefore we are
weighing to options before us and one of them is to ask customers with the affected configuration to use an older
version of release 10 instead.

We are interested to know how other University's are handling the issue as well.

Brenda B. Gombosky, CISSP, CGEIT, CISM, CHSP
Director, Enterprise Security
Information Technology
University of Louisville
Miller IT Center, Room 109