Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Remote scanning of student machines

From: "Witmer, Robert" <r.witmer () SNHU EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:25:34 -0400

Does anyone have students scan their laptops prior to showing up on move in weekend?  Our Help Desk gets swamped
because almost every student lands in quarantine the first day they are here.  We are working on procedures for
students to remediate their own machines once they get locked in quarantine.  But I was wondering if we could have them
run our scan from their home (prior to move in weekend) to ensure A-V/Windows updates are done when they get here.
Just wondering if anyone else has attempted it and the details.  Bad idea?
Regards,
Bob