Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SECURITY Digest - 15 Oct 2009 to 16 Oct 2009 (#2009-236)

From: Geoff Nathan <geoffnathan () WAYNE EDU>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:37:10 -0400

Matt said:

I tend use truly random passwords from a
generator or those similar in style to what Don
mentioned.

It's of course ideal to use long, random, meaningless strings as passwords. It's also ideal to have a different
password for each application (server, e-mail, banking site, etc. etc.) that we log into. But I have two e-mail
accounts (three if we include the one that AT&T gives me as part of my home setup), a Wayne State single sign-on
password, my bank, my credit card, my retirement accounts, and then the less risky ones like Amazon, Zagat, Cooks
Illustrated, Tripit, and I could go on (as in fact I have...)
It's simply impossible to remember all these, unless I repeat the passwords, or use a password wallet (which itself is
clumsy, and requires its own password). As others have said, the password paradigm is broken, and, as long as
two-factor is too expensive we're going to continue to have trouble, and it's not the users' fault. We can't ask them
to do twelve impossible things before breakfast and slap their wrists when they don't. Eventually they will slap back,
and they will be right.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
Wayne State University
Detroit MI 48230
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)