Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IPS

From: "Avdagic, Indir" <indir_avdagic () WSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:12:05 -0700

We are using multiple AIP module for Cisco ASA 5500 series appliances
and we have a good experience with all of them.

Cisco IPS AIP modules are easy to setup, configure, and manage.
There is multiple tools for AIP management:
1. Cisco IME - FREE of charge
2. Cisco ASDM (with the version 6.X of ASDM and AIP firmware version 6.X
and 7.X you can use ASDM for firewall and IPS management) - FREE of
charge
3. Cisco Security Manager - Commercial tool

In my experience Cisco Security Manager is the best tool for the Cisco
IPS AIP modules management.

The only constraint is the attack protection performance, which is very
limited on AIP modules. The top ASA AIP module ASA5540-AIP20-K9 supports
attack protection performance only up to 450Mbps and it is not suitable
the most networks as a border IPS.

Here is a link with more details about Cisco ASA 5500 AIP solutions for
the enterprise:

http://www.cisco.rw/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/p
rod_brochure0900aecd80402ef4.pdf

I hope this helps.