Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IT Security in Higher Ed.

From: Charles Buchholtz <chip+educause () SEAS UPENN EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:05:04 -0400

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 01:28:58PM -0400, randy marchany wrote:
I started responding to Lee Anne's post on "Security in Higher ED" and
it somehow turned into the thoughts below.

Just a basic observation on my part that's based only on my experience.

1. EDUs have 2 distinct and competing functions from a security viewpoint:
a. Corporate Network - as much as we don't like to admit it, the
b. ISP - all of us have on-campus students who use our network for

In my experience, our research computing is a distinct third function,
with different security / administration needs from either the
corporate or ISP functions.

Medical research and research in computers/networks are interesting
sub-categories of research.

--- Chip

Charles H. Buchholtz                    Director of Systems Programming
chip () seas upenn edu            School of Engineering and Applied Science
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~chip           University of Pennsylvania