Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mobile Smartphones and Encryption

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:43:08 -0600

Adam,

I agree with the theory side of disk encryption and it depends on what they have to protect. I'm really pursuing what
is workable general purpose policy?

How many characters are users willing to type as part of their security? An informal survey where no policy is
enforced: 4N,0,5N,0,8AN,5N,0,0,0 where N  = numeric; AN = alphanumeric

BlackBerry seems incredibly well designed from a security standpoint and how they do device updates while the device is
locked.   What I'm really looking for is someone looking at the knobs and making decisions on relative strength.  (19
rounds of SHA256) * N**M doesn't seem like a lot of work when N is 10 and M is 4.  Things look a lot better when M is
12 and N is 36.  Pursuing this a bit more, it does appear fairly difficult to image a blackberry/windows device with a
password using the native protocol for imaging that interacts with the device at the software layer.  They may have
even hid their 64bit salts + keys in a TPM-like chip.

From a security perspective, is anyone successfully adopting 12 character passwords on devices that are commonly used
on one hand?  Do you segment your user population into unique mail systems/stores based on job duties and role this
policy out to a subset of users?  Have you rolled this out as a common policy?

Some background from our side, we are in the midst of a long-term project consolidating email systems in a highly
distributed IT environment.  I'm really looking for a way to be as friendly as possible to people (and realizing some
very big security/economic wins) while still pursing proper security policies.  There's always the non-compliance risk
of "Here, use my gmail account b/c it sends to my iphone".  Yes, there are other problems that exist when that can
happen but one thing at a time.  There's also the "if you have IMAP for historical purposes, it's not that different of
a client" risk.

I'm having a difficult time tracking down public copies of people's policies that address this issue.  In higher ed,
that usually means that people are either ignoring the issue or haven't reached a consensus.   That's really where I'm
trying to wade right now:  what decisions are being made in the space?  Feel free to reply off list and I'll
consolidate/de-identify if necessary.

Thanks,
Chris