Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Identity Finder

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:20:35 -0500

Ideally, if the department has previously defined those places and ways
where highly sensitive data are *supposed* to be handled, then a
decision by a lay person should be easy.  "If it's not in one of those
defined places, it should not exist."

Realizing that the above sounds a bit "let them eat cake"-like, it's the
core idea that I hope is helpful:  First start by narrowing the field
for them, with the intent of making it easier to figure out what to do
with each discovery.