Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Two factor authentication questions

From: Scott Dier <dierx002 () UMN EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:26:15 -0500

One thing I'm focusing on here is evaluating OATH HOTP tokens along with a
3rd party radius server supporting the OATH HOTP algorithm for a small scale
installation.  I still need to bug some VARs and see who will sell us OATH
tokens without buying a server from them. (we have one already!)
The upside of this is being able to use standards -- I'd much rather
integrate a radius server we know (radiator) into our infrastructure than a
suite of proprietary tools that require windows or solaris.  Upside too is
nearly everything will speak with radius in some form or another.

[speaking as a admin/user of the system, was not involved in purchasing]
Our campus is using the Aladdin safeword product.  I like it a lot but our
security group runs our own authentication infrastructure to ensure our
systems are more collusion resistant.  Aladdin isn't really supporting the
solaris platform anymore (and its a one-off machine for our group)  and
we're not really interested in running windows servers in our group.  The
tokens are excellent and easy to manage.  I have no idea how it integrates
into windows, I assume its some sort of attachment into AD.  It also speaks
radius, so things that can speak radius with it are ready to go.  Our
initial deployment, as far as I know, was to sysadmins and data stewards.