Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Exposing security questions

From: Timothy Payne <tpayne1 () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:22:44 -0600

Definitely want to avoid any reference to or part of SSN.  When you
design your security questions, don't use obvious things (middle name,
hometown, mother's maiden name, etc).  Those are very easy to figure
out now that our entire life history and genealogy are on the
Internet.  I like questions that are obscure to a stranger, but not
impossible to remember, such as (first girlfriend/boyfriend, favorite
pet's name, etc).

Personally, I have a little matrix in my head that I use to answer the
questions.  For example, when I'm asked for 'favorite pet's name', I
always enter something totally different, such as my favorite color.
The answers don't have to be correct, you just need to remember WHAT
you answered.  But most people just diligently answer the questions
truthfully, which is why using facts that aren't easily found on their
Facebook page, or that their roommate knows, can lead to better
security.

Tim Payne, CISSP, CISM, CCNA
Network Administrator
Macalester College