Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Discontinuing student email service

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:52:35 -0500

Hall, Rand wrote:
On the heels of another student email outsourcing question...it has
occurred to me that some of us may want to step back and reflect on
the following question:

Why do we still provide student email accounts?

We once provided labs full of typewriters and then computers. We used
to provide our own dialup service. Once these things were
commoditized we were able to largely eliminate them. Do student email
accounts fall into the same lifecycle pattern?

I can't speak for anyone else, but here at Canisius, the
college-provided email address is an official point of contact for
departments like the library, the registrar's office, and the bursar's
office. It's used in our CMS, our class-specific email lists, and a
dozen other places.

Getting rid of it would mean either lots more postal mail or coming up
with some backend database of student's voluntarily provided home email
addresses. I shudder at the thought of maintaining that mess.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu