Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Patching iTunes and Firefox

From: Joe Artz <joeartz () UMN EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:02:21 -0600

For 3rd party application patching we use Microsoft System Center
Configuration Manager.  It works very well and has great compliance
reporting.  There's a big push at our University to verify patching and have
reports that managers can look at and roll up.  It's also as easy to
patch/update 10000 machines as it is one.  We also have a policy waiting in
the wings that will require most machines to be patched within 10 days of a
release of and update/patch, leveraging ConfigMgr we'll be able to meet with
reports to prove it.

I agree that Appdeploy is a great site for guidance in installing apps.  We
also have some units that use Secunia for scanning, but ConfigMgr can also
look for any piece of software you tell it to, report on it and update it
(or remove).

Thanks!

Joe