Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Server naming conventions

From: Pete Hickey <pete () SHADOWS UOTTAWA CA>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:34:26 -0500

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 03:40:12PM -0800, Greg Francis wrote:
We had to servers called CALVIN and HOBBES, named for the comic book characters. Being a Catholic university, there
were some complaints when CALVIN became part of their e-mail domain!

Ahhhh... back in the days.... I remember someone, at one time
had compiled a ist of the most popular machine names (this was
back when there were a countable number of machines on the net..
back when .EDU had more machines than .COM...)  IIRC, Calvin & Hobbes
were in the top 10 list, but I seem to remmeber that Calvin was
at level n, and hobbes was at level n-2 which begged the question.....

--
Pete Hickey
The University of Ottawa         "If marriage were outlawed,